I have always loved animals of every sort and, really, some of my best friends have been dogs. They are, to me, the most amazing creatures and they completely inspire me in so many areas of my life.
I also love the things that come together to make a photo - colors, light, angles, shadows, and let's not forget expression! Self-taught, I have read and studied volumes of technical textbooks and inspirational works, practiced and experimented, finally combining a passion for all things dog with this creative interest as a business venture in 2007/2008. I am proud to say my work has been published in the US and internationally. I have been fortunate enough to earn accolades over the years, most recently being named 2019 Best Pet Photographer in Mount Pleasant's Magazine's annual "Best Of" competition for the second year in a row. More info on publishings, etc., can be viewed under the FAQs tab.
I also have a special program for terminally ill pets or those who have received a difficult diagnosis. To learn more about this offering, please click here.
In business for over a decade now, I am confident in my practices, my approach, and my workflow. Before I promoted myself, before I "hung my shingle", I met with an awarded pet photographer whose work I admired. She critiqued my portfolio and we discussed the business of pet photography (because, believe me, it isn't all just taking photos!). I communicated with an internationally recognized pet photographer about style. I picked the brain of a lifelong friend who is a highly recognized and awarded photographer. And then I really started working at it as a business. None of this happened by accident or on a whim. As far as pets go, well, it's always been about pets for me. It's not an add-on service, it isn't supplemental. It's my priority, my specialty and my niche.
I'm a dog-mom to Roux and Gracie, two red Catahoula Leopard dogs (left). I volunteer in at least one shelter every week and have done so since 2003. I love what I do! I could go on with more personal history, but I think this will give you a glimpse as to who I am and whether you think we are a good fit:
- I haven’t vacationed without my dogs since 2003 and I wouldn't have it any other way.
- Often I can literally feel my heart swell with joy and I even become a little teary at times when I look at my beautiful dogs. Do you feel this way too?
- I adore when shy shelter dogs give me kisses during their photo time.
- One of my favorite words is "Adopted".
- I am an extroverted introvert.
- As a kid, I wanted to be a veterinarian or a marine biologist.
- Chances are good I will show up to your session wearing flip-flops.
- I used to be terrified of gorillas but now will be the first in line to any movie that includes chimps or great apes (proving that you can learn to love what you fear)!
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, my end products show time and attention to details of moments you may have seen as they happened during our session - or missed because they happened just that quickly. The care I will take with your photos will be evident in every proof, every product. You will not see every image I take – but those I put forth for you are the ones I deem the best and I am proud to have stand with my name on them.